Saturday, April 18, 2009

A Bottle of Flowers

The other day my new favorite client came in again, for the 2nd time this week. I say favorite client because he reeks of money, but is genuinely nice. He is not only the best looking man I have ever personally met, he is also the most impeccably dressed man I have ever met. The first day he came swaggering into the showroom, his appearance actually startled me. I think I might have mumbled "wow" under my breath. Funny enough, my first thought was he must be gay. I have a few gay friends and even THEY can't top the way this guy was dressed. As we became more acquainted, he mentioned something about his wife and 2 kids, I told him I had assumed he was gay. He told me that was "fucked up" and we instantly became friends. Moreover, I took a liking to him once I gave him my business card, he read it, and called me by my full name, Lynn Anne, and not just Lynn. Nice........


Wait a second. What just happened? Sorry I was in la la land for a second. Don't judge me! Yes, I am married, but a girl is still allowed to think a guy is goodlooking. AND I told my husband about my tiny client crush, so there. Keep your judgement to yourself.


Ok, onto his most recent visit. We were discussing refrigeration, and I showed him our wine cooler, 24" wide, 24" deep, 84" high, stores 106 bottles. Perfect dimensions in the wine refrigeration world. It also has 3 completely separate temperature zones! No one else in the industry has that feature!


Client: Why do I need 3 completely separate temperature zones? I only drink red wine.


Me: Think about the different kinds of reds you drink. You can store all of them at different temperatures.


Client: Have you ever had a Pinot Noir called "Flowers"? It's amazing. Possibly the best Pinot Noir ever.


Me: No. Not familiar with it.


Client: Really? You should go to the 4 Seasons up the street and try it. They have it on their wine by the glass list. It's only like $30.


Me: Wow! That's not bad, $30 a bottle at The 4 Seasons?


Client: No, $30 a glass.


Me: (blank stare)


Client: You can get it at a wine store for like $150 a bottle. The 4 Seasons has it there for $300 or so. Definitely go and try it.


Now, here I am, thinking that I'm friends with this guy and he's telling me that I need to go and try a $30 glass of wine at The 4 Seasons? Or go and buy it at a wine store for $150? Doesn't he realize I am selling him his appliances? My friend, ok, I get it, you have money, but I do not. Hell my husband and I have a hard time spending $30 on a bottle of wine in a restaurant, let alone $30 a glass?


This conversation brought me back to a very harsh reality. I work on a daily basis with some of the wealthiest people in NYC, even in the world, and most of them treat me very nicely, some even with respect. However, as much as I try to be a part of their world, the wealthy world that is, I know I'll never really fit in. I don't smell the cork from a bottle of wine once it has been opened. I don't swirl the wine in my glass before I taste it. I don't nod at the sommelier in approval of the wine. I don't hold the glass by the goblet and continue to swirl it as I drink. And I certainly don't pay $30 for a glass of wine. I pour my glass 3/4 of the way full, take a drink, and enjoy. And I'm not ashamed to admit, that I have enjoyed wine from a box too.

No comments:

Post a Comment